Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Moreton Bay Fig Weekend

Last weekend was dominated not by Ficus trees but by their opulent relatives Moreton Bay Fig trees. It started on Saturday when I interviewed Treesaver Carol Purcell: her favourite tree? The Moreton Bay Fig tree at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel- the "Kissing Tree". On Sunday I went to La Mesa Drive to photograph its dramatic avenues of Moreton Bay Figs. Subsequently, when I emailed fellow Treesaver, photographer Scott Smith to thank him for telling me about La Mesa, he told me how that weekend he, too, had been looking at these trees at the South Coast Botanic Gardens- and he sent me the great sci-fi root image below. While I was at La Mesa Drive, I texted an Easter message to my nephew- Zac Ware- and he replied that he was going to send me some tree photographs. As Guitarist with the Scottish band The Proclaimers, he is on a World tour. Seeing a lot of interesting trees in different countries he has kindly decided to be my "Roving Reporter". Among the images he sent? A Spanish Moreton Bay! So here is the Moreton Bay Collection- from top: 1. Miramar Fairmont Hotel, 2. La Mesa Drive, 3, South Coast Botanic Garden: Scott Smith, 4 & 5. Murcia: Zac Ware:









































































No comments: