Monday, January 11, 2010

More Patterns of Palm Trees

Last week I wrote of my enjoyment of the patterns the birds made on Malibu Lagoon. Today I want to write of my fascination with the patterns of Palm Trees, which I have written about previously: I am talking about the very common, skinny, scrawny Washingtonia Robusta that line so many streets in Santa Monica and Los Angeles. My Scottish mother would have described their untidy foliage as "desjasket": but their spindly trunks and their relationships to neighbouring trunks are refined and orderly and I find the subtle differences in these relationships totally absorbing. When I am looking at them through the lens the excitement and tension I experience is something very akin to music- the intervals between them are to me music.

So here are some of them:







No comments: